Thursday, September 11, 2008

Pedometer

One of the greatest and cheapest ways to monitor how much you are moving throughout the day is with a pedometer.

Here are the rules:
You must wear it!
Get a decent one...I like my walk4life pedometer
Set a step goal

Now your saying, "I take plenty of steps each day. I exercise at StrollerFit and chase my child around all day long." This may be true. Yes, you get lots of steps at StrollerFit and that is GREAT; you definitely want to accumulate steps that allow your heart to get pumping and your muscles to get stronger. We all know that planned exercise will get you lots of steps. The questions you need to ask yourself is: What are you doing the rest of the day? You will be shocked at how few steps you actually get. A pedometer is a perfect reminder that you need to move throughout your entire day! I'll tell you, I just put mine back on and here are my results for the last 3 days.

Day 1 Goal: at least 15,000 steps - 17,442
Day 2 Goal: at least 18,000 steps- 22,000 (this is a lot of steps, my feet were sore)
Day 3 Goal: 18,000 steps-- So far...it's 4:45 pm and I've taken less than 5,000.
Why so low today? 1. I didn't teach StrollerFit this morning. 2. I've sat and done a lot of computer work.

Luckily I'm going to attend a StrollerFit class tonight...I'll let you know tomorrow how many steps I get by the end of the day!

I highly recommend a pedometer. You will be finding ways to get more exercise and move more! Run around with your kids, run up and down your stairs, take a family walk after dinner! Get movin!!

No comments: