Sunday, June 22, 2008

Life

It's really strange how we take life for granted. Hang with me on this one...
I was headed today with my 2 kids to meet my husband and some friends for lunch. When I came upon a helicopter hovering really low and tons of police and firetrucks. After a detour, I got a better look at what happened and it was awful. People standing around everywhere a car smashed so badly that it was beyond recognition and lots of flashing lights. I knew there had to be fatalities.

Now rewind a couple of hours, I wanted to meet for lunch 30 minutes earlier and I was actually miffed that I was having to meet later. After passing the accident, all my silly anger was silenced immediately. It was at this point that I realized that life is way to short to be so inflexible, that in a blink of an eye; it's gone.

After visiting with some friends this afternoon and replaying the story, one of my friends said, "aren't you glad you didn't meet for lunch 30 minutes earlier?" That hit me like a ton of bricks. Sometimes in life, it's a little nudge and sometimes in life it's an open your eyes kick you in the face kind of message. I heard it loud and clear. So my message to you today is not necessarily about exercise or eating healthy, it's about living a better life, striving to love your kids, family, people you don't know more. It's about living in the moment and savoring those moments. It's about worrying less and not letting the little things get you down.

The crash was bad, a family of 5 leaving church died at that intersection today.

2 comments:

valerie said...

I Love You!!

Lindsay said...

Oh Wow, What a great message V!